EU launches probe into xAI over sexualized images



His X offices in Paris were raided by French and European investigators at the beginning of February as part of a wide-ranging investigation into X’s algorithms as well as the spread of AI-generated sexual abuse material. French prosecutors have summoned Musk and Linda Yaccarino, X’s former chief executive, for “voluntary interviews” in Paris in April.

The UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office also last week announced it was launching a new investigation into X and xAI, saying it had “serious concerns” about Grok’s use of personal data and “its potential to produce harmful sexualized image and video content.”

The EU has already opened a formal investigation into xAI for Grok’s spread of sexualized images of women and children under the bloc’s Digital Services Act, which requires big tech platforms to mitigate the spread of illegal and harmful content.

The European probe announced on Monday, however, will assess whether X breached the EU’s flagship GDPR rules, which mandate that companies ensure personal user data is processed only for specific lawful purposes, consider privacy during product development and draw up risk reviews in advance of the launch of high-risk features, for example.

Following pressure from governments around the world, including threats of fines and bans in the EU, UK and France, X last month implemented “technological measures” to limit Grok from generating certain explicit images. However, the company has insisted that it removes Child Sexual Abuse Material and non-consensual nudity material.

In response to the French raids, X said in a post that the allegations were “baseless” and it “categorically denies any wrongdoing.” It dubbed the raid an “abusive act of law enforcement theatre designed to achieve illegitimate political objectives,” adding that the investigation “distorts French law, circumvents due process, and endangers free speech.”

The latest investigation comes during a turbulent period for X, with dozens of staff departing the company last week, including two co-founders. Musk said in an all-hands meeting on Wednesday that he was restructuring the group after the merger with SpaceX.

© 2026 The Financial Times Ltd. All rights reserved Not to be redistributed, copied, or modified in any way.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top